Quick Links

Banner Photo Info



Padua Village

The Village that Almost Was

(a chapter from the book “Padua God’s Country” 1897-1997, by Sr. Janice Wedl, O.S.B.)

At one time, it was thought that the railroad line would be built to pass through Padua. So, the little village was platted and laid out as a new town in October of 1890. Padua already had a church, school, public hall, a store, post office, blacksmith and wagon shop, and a livery stable. It was hoped that, soon after, they would have a creamery, flour and feed mill and a cheese factory.

From Sister Wedl’s book:
“The area to be incorporated was platted, and roads were given names. The avenues were named Rooney, St. Catherine, St. Joseph, and St. Agnes. The streets were named St. James, St. Francis, and St. Anthony.

However, Padua was never incorporated. When the railroad line went through Brooten, rather than Padua, as had been expected, plans for incorporation were dropped. For many years, Padua had all the signs of a growing town, and people from all around the area came to Padua to do business.”